If you are in need of a personal injury attorney in Raleigh, here are some important questions to ask so you know you have chosen the best personal injury lawyer for your case.
Meet Your Raleigh Lawyer
Look for a personal injury attorney who responds to your questions sincerely, openly, and honestly. Answers to the few questions below should help you decide whether or not the lawyer is truthful enough for you and has had enough experience to handle to represent you in your personal injury case.
Before hiring, take advantage of an initial consultation. These meetings are designed to help you learn more about your potential attorney’s background, experience and skills, while also allowing the lawyer to learn more specifics on your case. To prepare yourself for the initial consultation, ask some of the following questions to help you decide if the attorney is right for you and your case.
Lawyer Background and Experience
Begin your consultation with questions like these in order to personally get to know your potential lawyer.
- What college and law school did you attend and when did you graduate?
- What bar associations and professional organizations do you belong to?
- How long have you been practicing law?
- What other types of legal work do you practice beyond personal injury?
- How many personal injury cases do you work with per year? What percentage do you settle vs. take to trial?
- Will you present all of the options and ask me to make a decision? Will you recommend a course of action?
Assessment of Your Personal Injury Case
Once the initial questions are answered, tell your potential lawyer basic details of the case and answer any questions they may have in order to help them make an accurate assessment of your personal case. Then, consider asking:
- How would you access my personal injury case?
- Do you think my case is more likely to settle or go to trial?
- Is mediation or arbitration an option?
- Realistically, what should I expect for a settlement or judgment?
- Do you foresee any potential problems which could affect the outcome?
- How quickly do you think you can resolve my case?
Personal Injury Case Management and Legal Fees
The management and legal fees should be the final details discussed during your meeting.
- Will you be the personal injury attorney who manages my case and handles all settlement negotiations and court appearances? Will there be anyone else working on my case?
- Will progress reports be provided? How frequently?
- What is the best way to reach your if I have questions/concerns, and how quickly can I expect you to respond?
- Do you charge a contingency fee or an hourly rate? How about a retainer fee?
- How much would you get paid if, a.)We win, b.)We settle, or c.)We lose/unable to settle?
- What other expenses will you incur? What is an estimated total amount?
Choosing Your Raleigh Personal Injury Lawyer
Before choosing your attorney, make sure you can answer yes to these questions.
- Did the lawyer answer my questions sincerely, openly, and honestly?
- Does the lawyer have the skills and experience necessary to handle my personal injury case?
- Did I agree with the attorney’s case assessment and strategy?
- Were the legal fees reasonable and did the award estimate seem realistic?
In Need of a Personal Injury Lawyer in Raleigh, NC?
Kirk, Kirk, Howell, Cutler & Thomas is your choice for a Raleigh lawyer. Specializing in personal injury law, our firm can also represent you if you are in need of an eminent domain lawyer or land condemnation attorney in North Carolina. Call us at 919-615-2473 or Request a case review today, and let us know how we can fight for you.
Protecting your Privacy ~ Your privacy is our primary concern. At Kirk, Kirk, Howell, Cutler & Thomas, LLP., we understand the importance of protecting your privacy and will never share your contact information with a 3rd party. Contacting our law firm does not imply any form of attorney-client relationship.